Friday, March 9, 2012

Man’s Best Friend, Really

  I often heard this saying. Ever since I was a kid. I got my first dog when I was about 6 years old, actually it was my grandparent’s dog, but they lived in the apartment right below us. He was a Beagle and they named him “Prince”. He and I were best friends. He actually bit many people, but I wasn’t one of them.
  I also have heard that “dogs really want to please you”. In my studies, I have read that that wasn’t really true and dogs really want to please themselves. I can see that in some cases. And though my training techniques are based in science, I can’t help being anthropomorphic (that word means to “humanize”) and believing they really do want to please me.
  Dogs live to play. Weather they are puppies or 12 years old. Dogs are social animals. It is important for them to socialize with other dogs as well as their human counterparts. They love interaction. As a matter of fact, when you see a dog waging its tail, it doesn’t always mean it’s happy, but merely it wants to “engage’ you.
  Dogs serve a myriad of roles in our society. Some are trained to use their noses to sniff out bombs and drugs. Others detect seizure in some patients. Some serve as service dogs. Others  as therapy dogs. Some work in police and military roles providing protection. Some are Seeing Eye dogs. Whatever the role, they are usually eager to step up to the plate and, pardon the pun, work their tails off.
  I have a miniature Dachshund named “Fritz” and a German shepherd named “Heidi”. They are my world. We are a pack. Sometimes I don’t know how I would get through a day without the both of them. I recently re-located to Colorado from NY. Being all alone out here isn’t easy. But when I look at them and they look at me, everything is alright.
  Anyone who owns a dog knows what I am talking about, and anyone who don’t, if your lifestyle permits, should try it. For all they do for us, they really are man’s best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment