Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dog on Dog aggression

  It never ceases to amaze me how people interact with their dogs. Many people I encounter have absolutely NO control over their pets whatsoever. That is why when I take either of my dogs for a walk down the street, I carry pepper spray and a big stick. I thought that moving out west would be better than living in NY, but I was wrong.
  You MUST protect your dog. If your dog gets attacked, just once, he can become dog aggressive. Most people out there are totally clueless on even how to break up a dog fight. It’s a pretty scary thing.
  Many people get the wrong dog. I see it all the time. I haven’t been able to figure out the motivation behind getting the dog they have. One common reason is looks. They like the look of the dog.
  Now here is a million dollar question: why don’t local laws allow you to keep a Tiger in your back yard? You guessed it, because if it gets loose it can kill somebody. Now I don’t mean to be facetious, but common sense isn’t so common anymore. Here is a good article about that: http://news.yahoo.com/incompetent-people-too-ignorant-know-175402902.html

  Now I hate to come off sarcastic but this is a subject close to my heart. Dog on dog aggression does occur, but far too often, and is, in most cases, preventable. In NJ there is a trainer/behaviorist Karen Fazio. She has just written an article that I think is one of the best I have ever read on the subject: http://www.linkedin.com/news?viewArticle=&articleID=5580365058451439670&gid=2204700&type=member&item=97947300&articleURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enj%2Ecom%2Fpets%2Findex%2Essf%2F2012%2F02%2Fdog-on-dog_aggression_dda_caus%2Ehtml&urlhash=W7VY&goback=%2Egde_2204700_member_97947300.
  Read this. If you have a dog that is a potential threat, get involved with a good behaviorist and nip it in the bud. You and all around you will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment