Friday, October 14, 2011

Who Me, Jumping?


 Why do dogs jump on people? There are many reasons. One is dominance. Also there are scent glands in your face, which the dog uses to identify you. The main reason is security. The dog wants to be secure and feel safe. One way they accomplish this is through dominance.
  It is annoying and rude. Personally I don’t think it’s cute at all. If their paws are dirty, you get dirty. If their nails are not cut, they are sharp and can scratch you up. If they slobber, well you get it by now.
  So how do we stop this behavior? There are several effective methods. When I first meet a dog in a client’s home, and they are not leashed (I always request the dog to be leashed) but if they are not, I ignore the dog and turn when the dog jumps on me giving him my side profile. Also, I bump him off with my knee. Be very cognizant here about turning this into a game. I don’t “feed the beast”. And what I mean by that is I don’t play into his game. I become dominant by being boring. So now I’m in control, not the dog. The dog is probably used to people coming over and greeting him on his terms. Most people when they meet a new dog reach down to pet the dog. They use a high pitch voice and are very friendly. This tends to raise the dog’s energy level and encourage the jumping.
  I do just the opposite. I am stoic, boring and non-engaging. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not a mean-spirited guy. However we must train the dog to engage guests with manners.
  Another way is through corrections. Put the dog on your favorite training collar whether it is a martingale or a prong. Invite a friend over and let them in on the deal. When they ring the bell and the dog’s energy level goes ballistic, put the dog in a sit or better yet a down. When your guest enters and the dog goes to jump on them, give a sharp correction followed with a stout “no”.
  Still another way is give your guest a small bag of treats before he comes over. When he enters the house and the dog is in a sit or a down, and only if he is still, have your guest reward him. Now be very careful that the dog ONLY gets rewarded for calmness.
  Last but not least, when your dog jumps up on you, grab hold of his 2 front paws and “dance” with him. Hold his paws firmly and no matter how much he objects don’t let go. We want to create an “unpleasant” experience for him.
  In any case I’m sure some of you have your own little tips for stopping this behavior and I’m eager to hear them. So be sure to comment on this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment